The USPS Seminar Series offers short, focused courses on several subjects of interest to boat operators and crews. Designed for boaters who want to gain knowledge about one specific topic, they are open to the general public as well as USPS members. Experienced boaters who do not feel the need for multi-session boating courses will find that seminars provide explicit information on subjects of interest to them. Beginning boaters will find the opportunity to understand topics that may seem buried beneath layers of jargon. Seminars complement the longer courses on boating subjects offered by USPS.
The Seminar Series is a part of the new USPS University education program. The entire program will include a comprehensive education plan both for the public and for squadron members, leading to an on-the-water Boat Operator Certification program.
Below is a comprehensive list of all seminars we offer. Those that have passed will be offered again in the future. If you wish to register for a seminar, click on the Seminar Name for details and contact information.
- Advanced Power Boat Handling (TBA)
- Anchoring (21 Jun 2017) $30
- Basic Coastal Navigation (TBA)
- Basic Weather & Forecasting (25 Jan 2017) $35
- Boat Handling Under Power (TBA)
- How to Use a Chart (19 Apr 2017) $35
- Knots, Bends & Hitches (TBA)
- Hurricanes and Boats (24 May 2017) $20
- Marine Radar (23 Aug 2017) $35
- Mariner's Compass (TBA)
- Onboard Emergencies (22 Feb 2017)
- Paddle Smart (15 Feb 2017) $35
- Rivers, Lakes & Locks (TBA)
- Rules of the Road (17 May 2017) $30
- Sail Trim and Rig Tuning (22 Mar 2017) $25
- Skipper Saver / Partners in Command (12 Apr 2017)
- Tides & Currents (16 Aug 2017) $20
- Trailering (TBA)
- Using GPS (15 Mar 2017) $25
- Using VHF/DCS Marine Radio (13 Sep 2017)